History An era of elegance and grandeur
Opened in October 1878 as a Resort Hotel with private Golf Course, Tennis Court, Croquet Lawn, Home Farm and horse-drawn Coaches to Jenolan Caves, the Imperial is the oldest Tourist Hotel in Australia. By the early 1900′s, it was well established as one of the three Grand Hotels of the Blue Mountains along with the Carrington at Katoomba and the Hydro at Medlow Bath, all of which were operated together for a time by Sir James Joynton-Smith (of Smith’s Weekly fame).
In its heyday, The Imperial hosted Prime Ministers and Royalty – including George V and George VI, as princes – and still proudly displays the Royal Coat of Arms presented in 1901. Located in the heart of Mount Victoria Village, the last remaining authentic 19th Century village in the Blue Mountains, The Hotel Imperial has more recently become famous for its theme parties and weekends.
iMurder Mystery Weekends combining the best of participative entertainment and good food are extremely popular.
The hotel was purchased in December 2004 by a syndicate of local investors keen on continuing the restorations and returning the hotel to it’s former glory.
he Hotel Imperial, a favourite stopover and stayover point at the apex of “The Garden Route”, has become renowned for providing meals of excellence. With a range of dining options from full a la carte service in the historic Leadlight Restaurant, to the more informal Leadlight Brasserie and Coffee Shop, and the Chef-cooked gourmet barbeques on the front verandah, the Hotel Imperial is able to offer something for everyone.